View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Jimmi Benz

Well the problem with a used piece is that it could potentially be the same as what you already have, which is a recalled component. Only it hasn't blown yet.

Im not one to go out of my way to save a couple bucks. I dont mind paying $$$ if I really get what I need. Problem is that the VDO circuit boards are just poorly designed. The basic problem is, obsolete components (not used by anyone else in the biz) failing, and some pseudo ASIC chips, one that also failed, but have no specs. They have no specs because VDO does not like other people touching their things. So they hyper-obfuscate the design to corner the repair market. But if you have a lot of patients you can win.

We all have come to the realisation, over the course of ownership of these cars, that dealer parts are marked up 200% more than what they should be. This is just another example of the illusion of quality solely due to a brand name. I can do it better.

Frankly though, due to the underwhelming response here and in another newsgroup, it doesnt seem like it has the payoff.

Anyhow, like insurance, you dont really think about until the time comes when you need it.

Last edited by jimbobeleeeeeoo; 10-27-2004 at 10:59 PM. Reason: type-oh