View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Dieseldiehard

Thanks for the link, it got me thinking about something on my "to do" list.
One of the things on my list to get before I drive back to Texas this winter is a long extension cord for the block heater. I wish I had one a few years ago when I tried starting the '79 NA 300TD (that was before I put a turbo engine in it) in 15 degree weather one morning in West Texas. I really ran the starter hard trying to get it to keep running, and blew hydro oil out one of the rear shocks when the seals let go
At the motel I was staying I saw people ran cords out of their rooms to their vehicles, mostly diesel pick ups BTW. I guess the management at some motels allows that so I am looking for something not too obtrusive yet at least 50 and maybe even 100 ft long. I don't want one of the heavy duty cords that is approved for contractors with bright yellow coloring. A two conductor green cord made for use with outdoor christmas lights is the best thing I have found. I wonder if the lack of a ground wire is too risky?

That JC Whitney retractible cord is kind of pricy but if I lived back East I would probably invest in one and install it permanently under the lower cowling or somewhere.

Last edited by dieseldiehard; 11-03-2004 at 01:55 PM.