Thread: Smoking 350 Sdl
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 11:45 PM

Thanks for all of the great info. The engine will smoke at idle even after a 12 mile warm up run in the morning, this thing just rips out on the open road, and gets incredible economy, but as soon as it has idled for just a few seconds, like a stop light, it starts smoking and I am turning off the heater quick before the smoke gets too bad in the cabin ! I have determined by using a long 3/8 extension against my ear that it is #4 that is nailing (very loud and obnoxous) , as the other injectors have a light rap by comparison. It has no oil use (15-40 Mobil 1). Being that I have have found that #4 is the noise maker (gone above 1200) from what I have read it sounds like the prechamber is suspect ? Can the IP timing affect only one cylinder ? I also noticed the other day as my daughter pulled away that I could see a puff of smoke as if it happened when that cylinder was firing, intermittent smoke puffs at about one second intervals until revs built. I am in Love with this machine as I am a firm believer that these are the finest automobiles ever built, and I am determined to make this nailing on one cyl., smoking situation get resolved. Thanks again for all help.