View Single Post
Old 03-21-2001, 12:29 AM

Ok, my turn...

Alot of reasons I would mention have already been listed, but I will certainly second the sound of that engine, the incredible reliability and longevity, getting in and waiting for that glow indicator to extinguish, running a 617 turbo full-bore down the highway, and, of course the understated elegance these cars posess. William Rodgers mentioned his MB reminded him of a Boston Whaler or a Grady White, I liken them more to a Grand Banks troller (both are slow and elegant!). When our neighbor's lease on their Ford Explorer ran out, I suggested they look at a Mercedes diesel. I located a beautiful '87 300TD (which I almost bought myself!) and I remember on the wife's first test drive, she couldn't believe how wonderful this (then) 12 year old car was! We drove back to the dealership and she bought it there and then. Since that day, her and her 300TD wagon have been inseparable. And her husband also just bought a very nice '82 240D which I drove back to Cleveland from Cincinnati for them. So now both our driveways are full of MBs! I think they were thoroughly convinced seeing how many of the things we had over at our house! Oh, and, as my friends and family will attest to, you don't have a better feeling of safety unless the car you're in has a three pointed star on the hood. And this came from some friends of mine who are not the least bit interested in cars! As they say in Germany, Schonheit ist nicht der Oberflachlich! "Beauty is not an oversight".