View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 08:56 PM

Thanks Peter, I'll try thr 0.8mm gap on the next set of plugs. Just finished replacing them as well as a new air filter ( I nearly fainted when they told me the price - AUS$ 70.00 for a Mann airfilter) and Tobias is driving really well !

I've just done my first oil change on a Merc and I love concept of just replacing the filter elements. Thanks to all the previous posts as well as your contribution to them, it made so simple ! ...even the long one about "which way is up" - symantics.

I'm waiting for the contact points to arrive as well as a speedo cable before I even contemplate the timing (yeh, the speedo finally gave up). Here's where I nearly did have a heart attack (I have a habit of checking with Mercedes Benz first), I was quoted, get this, AUS$690.00 plus postage and handling from Germany coming to a grand total of AUS$830.00 (tax incld) !
After peeling myself of the floor, I managed to call MB Classic Spares Dealer in Canberra and they're sending me one a new one (GEMO brand) for AUS$72.50. I think I've finally broken this habit!

As for the timing, it feels a little advanced but I'll check it when can get a hold of a dwell meter and timing light. This might be another posting...

Peter, thank you again and to everyone else that contributes to these forums. I've never had so much satisfaction in DIY car maintenance before!