View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 02:12 PM
webwench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchKitty
The only time I have had an engine quit we killed it intentionally. To get the prop to stop turning I had to nearly stall the plane. That was a Cessna 140 and the owner wanted to see me do a deadstick landing before he would turn me loose with it.

I suspect that the prop was turning fast enough to restart the engine, don't know. I didn't think about trying it until the prop was stopped and I was much closer to the ground.
Whoo, I don't like the sound of intentionally shutting down the engine on a single-engine airplane at all, talk about creating an unnecessary emergency... Only on a twin have I shut down an engine intentionally, and it's not always easy to start it up again even when you still have one engine pulling for you and all the time in the world to do it in!

dmorrison, I used to have all kinds of people come to me for BFRs who hadn't flown into a controlled airport since they got their license. As part of my BFR checkout they got to go into Richmond, though -- at least go through the airspace...

And I've never had a problem with that radio since, even on cold, wet days! Which is a good thing, because unlike the owner, I won't taxi out under the assumption things will work ok 'once they warm up a bit'.

Last edited by webwench; 11-11-2004 at 02:17 PM.