View Single Post
Old 11-12-2004, 02:15 PM
webwench

Well, 'back in my day', the chief flight instructor where I did my initial training did spin and spin recovery training with all its pre-private students. Because the spin training wasn't necessary for the private pilot license at that time, we had to wear parachutes for it, and thinking about what that parachute was for was scarier than the actual spin work by far. I went through it again at greater length during my CFI training, and later during some aerobatics training. Not so scary really after the first time, although you'll certainly get a new appreciation for proper use of rudder! I used to demonstrate spin entries and recoveries to some of my more adventurous private and commercial students in my instructing days when I had an appropriate aircraft available, and always felt it was beneficial for them to experience this.

As for good wing-dropping stalls, I have found that many students won't use enough right rudder during a power-on stall entry without prompting, so an effective demonstration tool if you will is to allow them to do the full-power stall with the rudder uncoordinated in this fashion. They'll get the wing drop then, whether they wanted to or not

The FAA now goes back and forth on whether private pilot applicants ought to be required to demonstrate full stalls at all I think there are a lot of people flying today with an unfounded fear of stall practice due to what I think is overconservatism about stall and spin training. The time to try 'scary' stuff is when you have an instructor in the plane with you, after all!