View Single Post
Old 11-21-2004, 12:50 AM

I agree with you there Brian.

I've been asked before by the quality controler why I haven't quoted certain items on older cars such as a drivebelt because of a few cracks, minor oil leaks, etc.

I judge every car as it comes in. eg. we have a W202 that comes in every now and then. 1998 model, 1000km/600mi per year average. Last service I quoted spark plugs and a battery (both remote and vehicle). I was asked why I didn't include the air and fuel filters as pasrt of the 4 year extras (already 2 years overdue).
It's simple, I would class that as over servicing. The owner is an old man who just wants his car to start every few months when he does go down to the shops. The battery was tested on the low end of the scale but it wasn't a fail, but judgement tells you to replace it due to the long standing time between use. That's something service schedules can't determine for you, it's the tech judgement.

Unfortunately there are techs out there who beleive that if brake pads can't make it to next service (15,000km/10,000mi) then they should be changed. Benz didn't put sensors in them for nothing. If they can make it 1/2 way to next service and they have a sensor then I just leave it as a report.......I'm not out there to take peoples money, I'm out there to look after their vehicles.

This really belongs in an open forum.

MB Tech
Sydney, Australia
Volvo 122S
W201 190D 2.5 manual
W202 C240
W203 C32