View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry edwards
JJL:
I thought it was always proper to assume it was raining in Scotland unless told otherwise??

What needed to be replaced on the car? I thought it looked pretty solid on Ebay? What exactly are the requirements for MOT? When I was looking at vehicles over there, I saw lots of references made to 'welding needed' for MOT. It's not something that gets done in the US to my knowledge so it seems odd. Do body panels need to be solid or is it just the frame?
It's safe to assume it's raining, as you know.

There is a fair bit of rust on the car at the rear end. The rear panel (with lights etc) was rotten. It had been filled (bondo) and looked cosmetically ok from the outside, but I'm picky about this so I cut it off. The left rear wheel arch was also rotten, I'm in the process of fixing that too. I may be an auto-OCD. Otherwise, not a bad car for £450.

The MOT test (government mandatory annual safety check) specifies no rust within about 18 inches of a suspension pick-up point, so most of the rust is legal. I'm amazed there is nothing similar in the US (Canada?) - do the mechanically-challanged just drive until the wheels fall off?
'01 Nissan Micra
'98 VW Passat
'83 911 turbo