View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004, 12:05 PM

Yes if it weren’t dangerous it would be kind of funny. Just for tootin around I’m hooked on the little Bug. It’s totally redone with a 1500 converted to 12v, but not repainted. The only clue is that the ragtop is gray, instead of the factory black and the wheels are repainted. At first glance it’s just an old Bug, but this will blow most anything in the weeds – too a point. Mostly it’s moving 65-70 mph, but people feel they must pass it. There are a lot of head-on's around here – two lane, but with curves and slight hills. I’ve come to expect people to pull out in front of me, and in general, get no respect. There is actually more too it than that. Bisbee and the ranch land close by is a very liberal little conclave in an ultra conservative county, and VW’s are thick there – a fair amount of older Merc diesels also. Driving a Bug anywhere says, “I’m from Bisbee” which is kind of like driving around flipping everyone else off. You could really feel it during the recent campaign.
When we’re traveling people mostly just shake their head and grin when they pass the Bus, but the kids always look – of course they worked 50 weeks to get the two out in the woods and pay for that shiny new SUV, so I just wave back. Even though the Merc’s a turtle on the hills I get none of this – mostly friendly waves from the big rig drivers.
63 Bug sunroof
85 Jeep CJ7
86 Chevy 6.2l diesel PU

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius