View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Coming back from burnout

Talking There is a whole bunch of people out there who can’t even open their hood!

I heard a funny rumour--there are a whole bunch of people out there who can’t even open their hood!
First of all I have to be very serious and say that I am not writing this out of silliness. This land was made by tons of tough and resourceful people with incredible mechanical ingenuity. But I think times have changed where everyone has to specialize to make a living and a lot of history teachers, doctors and paramedics, computer engineers and software people just don’t have the time to learn cars.
Nevertheless, there is a whole culture of smart and capable people out there who don’t open their hoods anymore. Maybe one reason is their cars are so reliable they never have to. They might not even know how many cylinders they have, or horsepower, for that matter. And that culture is getting bigger. Their entire tool set is maybe a set of screwdrivers and stuff left over from an IKEA chest they made. I mean they don’t even have an engine hoist!
This Culture never goes to junkyards! (Can you believe that? What if you saw your family doctor at a bone yard?) , has never split bloodied their hand out of clumsiness or tripped over their jack stands (Bill Gates—did he do that?), never gone to the Sears at the mall covered in grease. They never comb the Want ads every night in search of MIG welders or used tools; instaed they read the Stock Market, can you believe it? Is that normal? They never wash their car twice a week and spend entire weekends ripping out their dashboard to make their console lights come on or remove their engine as regular maintenance (heh heh GSXR are you reading this?)
These people, they take their cars to the Dealer for service! And they actually can park their cars in their garage which usually contain a weedwacker and a rake on an otherwise perfectly clean blank wall,instead of having it filled with an air compressor, several jacks, two old engines, and shelves full of boneyard parts, and thirty odd unlabelled containers with everything from Bondo to antifreeze in them!
What are these people crazy?

Last edited by Carrameow; 12-06-2004 at 09:57 PM.