View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Banned

A local marine reserve platoon deployed from here a couple months ago. They were provided a list of stuff to buy out-of-pocket because military procurement wont support non-standard gear. Stuff like Garmin GPS--a head and shoulders improvement over the military's standard PLGR POS. The only good thing about the PLGR is that it receives encrypted signal (P-Code) so that even if SA is imposed, the PLGR will continue to function.

The marines bought lots of outdoor gear. Most local merchants let'm buy stuff at cost or below.

I remember when I was in the Navy we got 'improved' tools for working on fuel lines. Aluminum wrenches. Ever used an aluminum wrench? On 3/4" steel fittings? I never heard of anybody getting all blowed-up using steel tools on fuel lines, but I guess it could happen. We hid our regular tools (supposed to turn them in). It took like, a month to deplete the whole supply train of aluminum tools then we had to use 'emergency' tools. Never did see aluminum tools again.

There is no accounting for the unmitigated thick-headedness of the military when it comes to supply or personnel matters.