Thread: 1970 300sel 6.3
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 06:08 PM
PaulC

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR3
Ok guys, I'm buying the car.
I'm not afraid to spend money on getting it into ship shape - though I'm sure you've heard this before.

Anyways, what is the first thing I should do mechanically?
The MB shop actually has 4 6.3's that they work on, on a regular basis and they are willing to put in parts from people like Star Motors.

I'm thinking of having the underside of the car steam cleaned and then create a to do list.

Any advice?

If anyone thinks anything inthe list is not necessary, or if I should be looking at an alternative please mention.

1.Replace all brake lines.
2.Replace all fuel and oil lines.
3.Replace air comp lines.
4.Replace all engine and tranny and sub-frame mounts.
5.Replace tranny with rebuilt tranny, yes, no?
6 Replace rear axle with rebuilt axle - not sure if I want to diagnose the leaky rear axles.
7.Replace drive shaft? - there is no clanky sound so maybe it doesn't need to be changed. The only thing that I have heard clanking from the rear is what sounded like a diff, taking a corner at an intersection.
Could it possible be the homokinetic joint that needs to be replaced?
8.Fuel pump had already been replaced, I think it is ok.
9.Pull gas tank, and refinish.
10. Steering gear box looked good, those 3 nuts on the subframe were tight, so no cracks were present, though I did notice some steering fluid (red coloured) leaking. There is NOT any clanking from the steering at the tightest turns in either direction.
11. The Kingpins DO NOT need to be changed they are solid, no play on either sides.

Anything else?
Cooling system needs? What shape is the radiator in? The heater core? Not an engine that I would like to toast.