View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 10:55 AM
webwench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dculkin
I guess you could call it a Ponzi scheme. Or maybe you could be more accurate and call it the most successful social program in this history of the world.

What's wrong with "pay as you go"? How do you think we pay for highways? We do it through gas taxes, pretty much on a pay as you go basis.
It's just great until the money starts being siphoned off for other purposes... until people assume that Social Security was meant to provide their entire retirement fund, rather than being just a supplement... until politicians bill it to their constituents as being something it's not... until it gives a negative return for most people, who are at the same time forced into the system, when they could better invest the money themselves... until you get a bump in the population like the baby boomers all retiring at once... until it gets used as the greatest scare tactic and political hot potato in history, making reform and adjustments to it almost impossible...

Yeah, it's working great. And all those ellipses make me feel like I'm channeling bhd.

Hey, if it had a voluntary opt-out clause, I'd be happy.