View Single Post
Old 09-04-2000, 10:46 PM
Down to the Wear Bars

According to my last issue of the Star, "in the 70's, MB Argentina produced a Pick-up 220D. It was powered by a 60 hp (DIN version of the OM 615 4 cyl. diesel and used a 4 speed manual transmission. Weight was 3042 lb, and max payload was 1565 lbs." They also show a Binz GmbH & Co. custom built 4 door E class Pick-up. Somehow it doesn't come across to me as a replacement for the El Camino.

One thing that I really miss about 60's GM cars was the large degree of customization you could order from the factory. Several in line 6 cyl and V8 choices on my 67 Malibu, several carb options, choice of tuftride, cast, or forged cranks, even cyl. head choices (remember powerpak heads?). Bucket or bench seats, several rear axle ratios, trans choices, radiator capacities, instrument packages, brake and spring packages. I guess all the choices were not really compatible with computerized just-in-time inventory systems, and manufacturing cost savings. The wide variety of possibilities may even have contributed to the reliability issues, by increasing the range of parts that the line workers needed to know about and get right for each configuration, for each model year! On the other hand, you didn't have to take the moon roof and heated seats just to get the fold down rear seats you wanted, as so many manufacturers force you to do in their "package" system of optional equipment.

------------------
JCE
87 300E, 65k miles
Smoke Silver