View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Coming back from burnout

Whats the truth about the W124 87 300D?

I started to prepare my 87 300D for sale, I fixed the door lock and I fixed all its faults and thats when I discovered I still luv the car. I haven't driven it in over 6 months; I parked it in my tiny garage, because its a Liability to drive out here in NJ .To carry Comp on the car is not worth it because of its "book value".
So every night I go down to my garage with its kerosene heater because being so cold its the only car I can work on. The upholstery is like living room furniture, so some nights when the kid has her teenage brats over and the dog is barking and the TV blaring, I sit in the car, close the door, read my newspaper and take a nap.
Anyway, I look at that gleaming 6 cylinder Diesel and it reminds me of a U boat motor or a Packard or a Corvette or something. The car is so quiet and smooth and powerful.

But I am concerned. That aluminum head scares me, as well as the serpentine belt, as well as the timing cover...this car is a thoroughbred and not a draft horse.
Does anyone out there have a 87 W124 300D with 370K uninterrupted service miles? I bet not!! Whats the truth about the W124 87 300D? Is it even a shadow of a W123? Or is it a fragile showcar?

I just dont know what to do with this thing. part of me says keep it and it will be a Classic someday...