View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 09:56 PM

DIY Repair is like marriage

Well, I just finished my first significant DIY repair on my 1982 300sd. I replaced my alternator. DIY is like marriage. I have been married to my wife five years and I still don't have her figured out yet. Some days, she will get upset about something and act all emotional and it will be a week later before she really tells me factually what she was thinking or feeling.

The more I DIY on my old car, the more I get to know her. I took off the air cleaner housing to study the turbo and try and figure out where my oil leak is coming from on that side of the engine. I cleaned and degreased, replaced my alternator. Had fun and went and bought my first floor jack. Sams club - 7000lb Michelin brand floor jack $65. Went and bought an air wratchet $29. I love the sound that thing makes. Bought a new set of large metric sockets.

Looks like that darn return line to the oil pan from the filter housing leaks. Turbo drain only leaks where it goes into the oil pan. But there is always lots of oil sitting in the top of that engine shock mount. Looked like the air tube between filter housing and turbo was cracked where it tightens onto turbo. It had some oil in it. Maybe that's my culprit.

Anyway, I now feel like I know my engine. It is becoming an old friend. I am not as afraid of working on it myself any more. I learn more each time. Some days it still has PMS(the car). And my wife still complains that I spend too much money on the old car. Go figure. DIY is a lot like marriage - for better or for worse - but I still love ya.
2000 Toyota Tundra Pickup