View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 09:12 AM
I miss my MBZ

maybe this will help you make up your mind

I saw a dark blue '87 300d for sale at a local used car lot near Indian Hill (Expensive-house part of Cincinnati). It had 230-somethingK and was fs for about $3k- which I had at the time. Documentation was the best I've ever seen in a car anywhere (big binder, lotsa reciepts, .xls sheet w/ fluid changes marked...). #14 head. .. I didnt buy it b/c of the head and the auto trans (really wanted a sticky-stick).
But now I look back...
I consider the decision *not* to buy it one of my first "Dumb mercedes moves"

Emotions aside, look at the money.

how much is the car worth right now ? How much would it cost to replace the 300D with a similar car- If the cost to keep is too great, then yes, you have a reason to sell. But if the only reason to sell is "it might break soon" I think a lot of us would be trading up to Honda civics (and getting better mpg...) real soon.

If you are a guy who can look at a car as just a tool, for getting you from A to B in some semblance of style (my wife is like this, maybe I envy her...), then consider selling the benz- only if you are **not** going to get into your 1995 honda civic (with about 80k-100k on it at this price...) and think "wow, I wish I had my old 300D"

MHO

-John
(insert Mercedes here)

Husband, Father, sometimes friend =)