View Single Post
Old 04-11-2001, 05:28 PM
cheyun

I agree 100% with Rocky
Actually, C32 will also be a what I call "fake" AMG car.
AMG should be motor turning not force induction. Anyone could add a supercharger. Lorinser also disappoints me too. they are now turing chryslers.

CaptAlex300e
I don't think the "cheaper" build quality is a way to gaion youger buyers, more like gain profit.
From what I heard the current E-class will be the last car that build based on the good old days concept.
E-class still uses good quality material and excellent craftmanship.

elau:
First of all, I don't wish to be hit by a dodge ram "giant" truck. Those car aims directly at the body of the car not the bumper. I could tell you that Lexus and Audi both are very well build cars. From design to actual building are nothing less then a current mercedes. Before, like 10 years ago I would rather be in a benz then any of those cars.
However, those cars are now really up or beyond the mercedes level.

This is another article that I got off the net.

DaimlerChrysler’s chairman Jurgen Schrempp is facing great pressure. Many shareholders requested him to resign. However, less than 2 years ago he was praised by others for taking up Chrysler and pushed Daimler-Benz (now DaimlerChrysler) to be one of the 5 largest car makers in the world. It was the largest merger in commercial history.
What made the changes happened? Mostly because of the sales slump of Chrysler - the new Voyager and Grand Cherokee were not selling well despite of high cost. To be honest, the influence of the merger is unlikely to be effective so early, but no one cares the real reason. They just accused Schrempp’s Hitler-style leadership. He is the King. He replaced all the top managers in Chrysler by sacking them or making some retire early, including the design head Tom Gale. He admitted the so-called "Merge of Equal" was actually a takeover. He sent German to manage the American company, replacing highly efficient decision making and creativity with committees. Chrysler is no longer Chrysler.

The sales slump might not be his responsibility, but obviously Schrempp has to take that, because he has so many enemies, including millions of American car enthusiasts.

We also question the decision to take over Mitsubishi. Schrempp once said he didn’t want to take over Nissan because of its unseen debt. Instead, he chose the smaller Mitsubishi. Now Renault’s Carlos Ghosn has succeeded to reduce debt, cost and turn the company to black. In contrast, Mitsubishi’s problem has been found to be even more deep-rooted than Nissan, including hiding their car’s problems when eventually led to recall of over 1 million cars and punishing fine. The link with Mitsubishi group means the car maker is even less willing to reform than Nissan.

Why did Schrempp chose Chrysler and Mitsubishi ? no one knows. From cost-sharing point of view it is pointless, because Mercedes cannot share any platform with its cheaper subsidiaries. Smart can, but it’s just a small business. Sharing between Chrysler and Mitsubishi is just under discussion now, obviously it was not in the plan before the crisis began. One day this man will go because of his poor management.