View Single Post
Old 04-12-2001, 12:47 AM
Driver, Mercedes-Benz

I left out another interesting bit of one business lunch we had when the MB conversation was raised.

This chap had a Rolex, and we were talking about Rolexes too, and everyone had their Rolex proudly displayed. I don't have one as I find it very uncomfortable to wear something like USD5,000 on my wrist just so I could tell the time.

Anyway, this chappie who had a USD10,000 Rolex kept complaining about how he had to adjust the time at every month coz its running slow. Despite the un-reliability of the watch, he would continue to wear the Rolex as a symbol of "being able to afford some little piece of luxury". Mind you, I think its simple showing off. If it was my watch, I'd stuff it and get another decent and modest watch.

For many Asians, and I confidently speak on their behalf who are too busy showing off at business lunches, despite the decline in a quality of a MB, they would still continue q-ing for a piece of luxury just so they can afford to show it off.

The people closest to me are no exception and I know I can say this as loud as possible and they won't hear it. Even if they did hear it, I don't care.

Its my opinion and how I think that matters.

126 tailed by a 203, 129 leading the pack.