View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 11:24 PM
All-seeing, all-knowing.

Factory trailer hitch for 116!!

Hi fellas.

I found this rare and interesting item on a wrecked Euro 116....This is NOT an aftermarket hitch! It was apparently installed as an actual factory option. There is a metal tag on it that reads "Daimler-Benz", along with other specs and info printed in German.... It also has an integrated wiring harness, with a waterproof cover over the socket.

I'd never seen one, or even HEARD of one, prior to finding this one, so I'm assuming it's an uncommon item, at least in the US. I have been told by a fellow enthusiast that it was an infrequently-ordered factory option.

It is a class-II hitch, bolts to the frame, and would probably be more than adequate to tow a jet-ski trailer, small motorcycle trailer, fishing boat, etc....

There's a couple of brackets and mounting plates that must be installed, requiring some drilling in the trunk floor, and behind the rear bumper. I wish I had been able to take some pictures before I removed it from the car, to show how it mounts and how the wiring hooks up....but I didn't have a camera with me.

Anyway, I'm reluctant to sell the thing, just because of the novelty factor, and the apparent rarity..... it's so damned cool! But I really don't need it, so all of you 116 freaks...... make me an offer I can't refuse!.....

I had to cut two bolts that were completely frozen with rust, and in doing so I slightly damaged one of the mounting brackets. I'm confident that it's not bad enough to affect the structural integrity of the bracket, but it could be patched with a small weld if it bothers you.

It would be a real attention-getter at the next MB get-together you go to!

I can take more detailed pix for anyone who is serious about buying the thing.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Factory trailer hitch for 116!!-dsc02172.jpg  
_____
1982 300D-gone---sold to a buddy
_____
1985 300TD
270,000 miles
_____
1994 E320
not my favorite, but the wife wanted it

www.myspace.com/mikemover
www.myspace.com/openskystudio
www.myspace.com/speedxband
www.myspace.com/openskyseparators
www.myspace.com/doubledrivemusic

Last edited by mikemover; 02-01-2005 at 08:58 PM.