View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 08:46 PM

Well, I have ME degrees with specialized training in IC engines (MS from the U. of Wisconsin Engine Research Center where I performed emissions related research). The KE system is electromechanical and requires some knowledge of both electronic and mechanical systems in addition to a general understanding of chemistry, control systems, emissions, and emission control technology.

All I can suggest is that you reread my posts in this thread and try to absorb what I have said.

The air flow plate adjustment is an initial setting. From there the lamda system will maintain stoichiometry unless the initial adjustment is so far off that the lamda system has insufficient control authority to correct the mixture back to stoichiometric.

Small changes in the initial setting will affect duty cycle - the relative amount of time that the lamda system spends richening or leaning, but will not have any effect on overall operation of the engine, including emissions, as long as it is somewhere within a reasonable ballpark - say a duty cycle of no less than 30 percent to no more than 70 percent at the two test points of idle and 2500 revs, no load.

Maintaining stoichiometry is the primary strategy of modern emission control systems. The exhaust gas constiuency from a stoichimetric mixture is required to achieve maximum efficiency from three-way catalysts, which both oxidze HC and CO and reduce NOx. I use the term "reduce" in the chemistry context, which means to disassociate an oxide into its consituent molecular components.

Duke