View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 10:53 PM

Pertronix-Is it worth it?

I've been having some difficulty recently with my engine running roughly and missing under a load, all of the symptoms I have experienced before with bad points. The current set looks all right, and the plugs are relatively new and I just cleaned them. I pretty much have to problem tracked down to the points because the wear block had worn down enough on my points that I had to reset the gap. Dwell reads in line with a set of used points, but it's still not running quite right.

My question is to anyone who has installed a Pertronix Ignitor system in their 6 cylinder 280. First of all, did you have to make any modifications to the distributor other than removing the points. Somewhere I read that the vacuum bracket might have to be removed and ground down to make room for the magnet assembly, but I believe this was in an article about the older Pagoda models. I have a 1970 280SEL, 6 cyl FI, which originally had a transistorized ignition that was reverted to standard ignition after the transistor switchbox apparently failed.

Also, does the ignitor kit go right in, or do you still have to set dwell angle on initial setup?

Finally, I'm considering purchasing the Flamethrower coil as well. Will this in fact give me a better spark, allowing me to open the spark gap a little to increase performance?

The price on the pertronix module looks reasonable, and I'm looking forward to not having to fool with points again. One issue I'm interested in is reliability. How long have you had yours and have you ever had a problem. My car is a daily driver, and it has to run or I'm stuck.

Thanks!