Thread: 110mph 300sd!?!
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
Although I find it practically amazing that these vehicles can do this with less than 125 hp, I cannot argue with the data (unless it's flawed) and, therefore, I stand corrected.
I have to argue with you that you don't stand corrected! How's that? I'm only saying that my tach read 4600 but I don't know if it's right. Your analysis of the steep drop in speed capability based on available power is fine. I do not know how fast I was going, I do not know how much slippage I had in the torque converter, etc. The only thing I would venture to correct is that the aerodymamic portion of road load power increases as a function of the CUBE of car speed. Mechanical portions, such as rolling resistance are roughly linear. The sum of the 2 should represent the traction requirement you are correctly referring to. With the power needed rising exponentially and the power available, where they meet is where the top speed is. Once that point is reached, that's absolutely it, there is no more speed increase, unless you drive over a cliff!

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

listen, look, .........and duck.