Thread: diesel options
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 09:04 AM
"The Wizard of Oz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Helden
I have an 82 240D (white with BT blue and a 4sp) that is in close to cherry condition. Iam the second owner and it has only 148K and no rust etc. I need something to tow behind my motorhome, but I can't seem to get anyone to tell me if I can make this work with the 240 nor does any "search" tell me how to tow this. REMCO has said I can't, but not how to. Thinking seriously of trading for a Volkswagen TDI (diesel) manual so I can tow four down. Anyone have any ideas on this or want to do an interesting trade?
I assume that by 4sp, you mean a 4sp stick shift.
Put it on a car trailer so that it is off the road while towing. This will prevent excessive mileage on chassis due to being towed. This would also apply if you actually have a 4sp Automatic transmission in the 240D..
It would be wise to have a stone deflector on the front of the trailer to protect your "cherry condition car"
If necessary, a 240D, 4 speed manual, should be fine if the transmission is left in neutral while being towed.
Elizabeth '81 280E, sporting a '79 300D engine.
Lucille '87 W124 300D non-turbo 6 cylinder OM603, Pearl Grey with light grey interior

Various parts cars including 280E, 230C & 300D in various states of disassembly.