View Single Post
Old 02-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Benster Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSilver
Interesting mix of careers in this thread.
I know some people look for variety and others have it forced upon them, but here's my take on the secret to a successful life: Everyone has been given only one thing they're good at, above all else.

Call it a talent, a skill... it always shines above everthing else they attempt.

If they try something away from their calling, they crash--or are less effective than they could be.
Well you may be right Ken. I started out a working in my dads garage at around 13, loved it, i got to do a variety of things, then moved on to college where at that point i wasn't sure what i wanted to do. I realized that i loved coaching and teaching. I graduated and did just that, with real enjoyment. However, I got married realzied that teaching/coaching wasn't going to get us anywhere financially so I turned to my cousin who was working for Luby's Cafeterias. GM's were making a $150K a year back in 1987. Who wouldn't change careers. I quickly found out this wasn't all it was supposed to be, but I hung it out so that I could provide food and clothes for my new family, which 2 children were born as well. It was tough to quit and I thought about it lots of times. Well I guess I woke up after 16 years and a divorce and now here I am, starting a new career, which i'm really enjoying at this point. Being in the restaurant industry has set me up for sucess at Sysco. Although I did really like working with kids.