View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Sword of Damocles

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1803
DKVEURO,

I forgot to mention that I had disconnected the middle wire on the distributor cap, which is the main wire for all six sparks. So there is no fire hazard now.

Aside from the fire and explosion issue, I have decided to do one of the two following things:

a) I may just buy a used (and good) complete fuel injection system with fuel distributor + air flap & air body unit + fuel regulator on eBay.

-OR-

b)take the car to a MB Technician and have them tell me specifically what it has wrong.

Which would you do? I'm just trying to find a way to save money and not have to pay a technician so much money, none the less a towing service (est. $160 from my house and back).

What if I get the fuel injector deal on eBay, and the car cranks, then take it to the MB Tech?

Do you think I should take this chance? Or do you think I should just stay on the safe side and get jipped?

PEACE
First of all, pulling the primary coil wire out of the cap will still leave you with a spark. Best is to pull cover from coil amd disconnect a low tension wire, this totally disables the coil. Second choise is to ground the coil wire leaving no spark gap.
BTW....What vehicle are we discusing here ?

On top of the fuel head there is a plug with a 12mm head...this is upper fuel pressure....need a guage to read pressure.
The leak you are seeing is usually the two green 'O' rings between the control pressure regulator and fuel head. These are renewable.

However, without a test gauge to check upper and lower chamber pressures you might just have to commit to a shop for help.

As a rule...and others may disagree....I have had very few 'Fuel control heads' fail. Usually it is bad pump, pump relay, bad wiring or no spark that results in no fuel pressure.

Would suggest you go to Alldata DIY.com and invest in a subscription to you vehicle on line for one year. $24.00 for first vehicle or invest in manufactures publications or cd which is usually higher $$$.

Your other options are as you suggested....but hit and miss.
Ever tried a salvage yard for used ?

Next would be to

"A liberal is someone who feels they owe a great debt to their fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."