Thread: P/S Maintenance
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas
Yes they do. Check the following link. You'll find it on Page 6.

But I still support the notion of using only power steering fluid instead of Dexron III.

BTW, I noticed the people who wrote the booklet don't know how to spell Dexron.
Thanks for the link! I have a half full 500 ml bottle of 000 989 88 03 MB PS fluid, which dates back to '92 when the sector seal blew out in my car. This same fluid is called out in the 2001 service product list for the E-class with a note that approved Dextron [sic] III fluids can also be used. Since Dexron is a GM trademark and they control the spec, it would be fair to assume that any product that carried the Dexron trademark should be okay as a substitute for 000 989 88 03(?)

The C, S, and SL-class call out 000 989 24 03 10 PS fluid, and there is no note that Dexron III can be substituted. So does anyone know why a different PS fluids are called out for different models?

I've always had a beef with MBNA about service products. Nothwithstanding that calling Dexron "Dextron" is inexcusable, some years ago I was trying to find a Pennzoil "xxxx" 85W-90 GL-5 gear oil that was on their approved service products list with no luck. I finally contacted Pennzoil, and they said this particular four-digit product number was not even marketed in North America, so I ended up using their 80W-90 product that was readily available. Thanks alot MBNA for sending me on a wild goose chase. It looks like they haven't improved the quality of their service products list... rant off.

I'd like to flush out my PS system anddon't want to pay $40 for fluids, but don't want to install something that may cause problems. I'm still trying to sort it out.

Duke