View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 06:04 AM

Sam,

It's as if you read my mind. Well said. I was going to post all that. Here's one thing I was going to post in addition: make sure you know your definition of reliability and "trouble." Last year the three most common consumer complaints about cars were: wind and road noise, confusing and complex controls and high fuel consumption. Are any of these problems? NO!! These are the things that make a vehicle what it is. An AMG car that doesn't gulp fuel is rubbish. You can't deliver 500HP without being a gas guzzler. Confusing and complex controls? Geez... when you ordered heated seats, distronic, parktronic, adjustable air suspension, cooled seats, massaging seats, power everything, voice activated navigation screen... where you expecting simplicity?

Yes, the Japanese lead. I think their system of making cars just allows them to make more reliable cars. No contest there. However, be sure to read into the exact details of problems for each car and/or brand. Consumer Reports details them each time. I remember in 2002 they didn't recommend the Ford Explorer because, while it performed excellently in all other categories, it didn't do too well on the "transmission category" and they had ranked that as one of the most important categories. So, here's my question: if you purchased an Explorer with a manual transmission, would this apply to you? NO. So then, to you, the Ford Explorer would have excellent reliability. And also, even if you purchased it with an automatic transmission, if you are prepared to have to take the car back to the dealership for a warranty claim on a failed transmission, then does the "not recommended" rating apply to you? NO. Additionally, the Lincoln Navigator has been the "least reliable" vehicle for three years now. I've asked more Lincoln Navigator owners about it than I care to remember, as I was once interested in the car myself. Each person I speak to expresses surprise at that. One man even told me "that's lies... the only problems I've had were my side mirror adjustment stopped working, my power running boards wouldn't deploy one day and my heated seats didn't work once. But the dealership fixed all that stuff promptly and I can't complain." Right there he listed three problems but to him they aren't anything at all. I guess either he feels those are such tiny issues that they didn't matter (remember, none of those problems rendered the car inoperable) or he loves the car so much that his love overshadows any problems he experiences.

Just be sure to read every detail.