View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 09:49 PM

Question Where to start... :O

I was just given an 81 MB 300D car, in rather good shape, body wise. Engine doesn't run and it's sat for several months over the cold Utah winter. It has 250k miles on it. There is a some good rust spots on the doors where they meet the floorboards, otherwise it's clean.

I was told that that there were problems with the cylinders, and the PO kept talking about valves and needing $1500 worth of work. (But couldn't articulate exactly what was needed/wrong.) Other things that he's mentioned is that one of the vaccume lines was craced and stiff/hard. It has a block heater and it always started easy on that, otherwise it was hard to start.

Things I've looked through on this in the little time that I've had to play so far - battery needs to be replaced. MOST of the rubber seems to be old and hard (If not, getting there fast.) Has leaks on the head, oil pan underneath and possibly on the transmission (Haven't had a chance to get under as I still have Ice on the ground.)

--------
Having looked at the forums for a while... I would guess that I want to check the tank for alge and if I'm pushing fuel though to the engine. Then check to see what the engine does when I crank it.

Or is there another place that I should start from on figuring what's good/bad about this car, to get started. (I'm not great at diagnosing, but I figure I'll get better. Although I have NO problem fixing things when I know what to fix... )

---------
One other question that I have is that I'm considering adding a turbo for preformance to this, Would I just want to rebuild an engine that has one already? And then drop THAT in the car? Or can I add one to this engine after I get it working. (I did notice that there was a turbo and nonturbo crankshafts as I was looking at rebuild parts.)

I've only put in $80 at this point + about 4hrs driving time. So for me to put 1-2k in to it over a couple of months for me to fix it up right, won't bother me... And it WILL keep me out of trouble... For the moment.

Thank you ahead of time,
Jp.

Last edited by Er_Ras; 03-07-2005 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added more information.