View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Stella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlostmaybe
i have a 300cd with a 4spd manual. its shifting isnt very smooth or tight. the flywheel is from a 240d and i think it is lighter than it needs to be. the rpms drop and rise too rapidly when i put the clutch in.
don
I believe the 617.XXX manual flywheel is 6-7 lbs heavier than the 616 flywheel. This weight difference no doubt improves shifting however, the biggest hinderance to smooth shifting on the turbo engines is that they aren't governed above 1000 RPM. Smooth shifts require repeatability and predictability in throttle and clutch response. Without a governor, you will never have consistent throttle response in relationship to the throttle position.

Quote:
I always thought it was because the clutch wouldn't stand up to the turbo for long, unless some major springs were put in there.
A 240's clutch is plenty stout...and is at least as good (if not better!!!) as the clutch on a 1/2 ton Ford pickup. Face it, on a good day, a 617.952 (300 turbo) only has 70-90 hp and 125 ft/lbs torque at the rear wheels. Not exactly a powerhouse!!!!

I haven't deliberately abused mine but, I have pulled some significant weight and there has been no sign of slipping or any other adverse effects.