View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 08:57 PM
rebootit

Oil all over left side of engine

I have not asked a question for a long time as everything has been going great. However I have a problem now that has me stumped. Last weekend on a trip I noticed the oil pressure starting to go down at highway speed. Stopped as soon as noticed and when I looked under the hood the entire left side of the engine was soaked with oil. I could not see the source but was down about 5 qts. So I topped it off and drove a little more. No more leak was seen the whole way home (200+ miles). Cleaned up the mess and then took it for a good run on the highway. Only oil leak I can find is coming from the front head bolt on the left side of the head. Very small leak, just enough to show a wet spot. Will look further this weekend but is it possible for a head bolt to come loose or is it more possible to be broken? Car is running fine, no miss, no oil in water in oil. Why did it blow oil at 80mph but does not at 65-70 mph? The 5qt loss happened in about 20 miles, since that no loss at all besides a slow seep.