View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 11:55 PM

Encapsulation panels

<>

Actually, it doesn't. While I don't know when the encapsulation panels were added to 124's, I do know that my '85 190E (worst MB I ever owned) did not have one. BUT, when the AC "secret recall" update was performed on my car to improve the AC operation to "acceptable", one of the parts kits added was the encapsulation panels, bottom and sides under the engine plus at each side of the radiator. The purpose of all this was to prevent hot air from the radiator from flowing down and forward (at idle in traffic) to be drawn through the AC condensor again and instead insure that it exited back of the crossmember. That and all the other parts replacements brought the AC up to GM standards.

My '89 190E 2.6 had all this stuff factory installed, of course.

As to noise reduction, think of the last time you drove over the metal grating on a bridge and how much quieter the car was for the moment. That's because the engine sounds are normally reflecting off the pavement right into your ear. This would make a much bigger difference in a diesel, naturally.

My '01 C320's undershields are all snap-together and have never come loose. And, most of the car's belly is covered clear back to the rear axles which has a lot to do with it's drag coefficient of .27.