View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 10:18 PM
W126 Lover

Question Does this sound like a flex disk problem on my 126?

BACKGROUND:
Last month, I swapped a new German Star rebuilt tranny into my '89 420SEL. Too big a job for me to handle on my own, so I turned it over to a HIGHLY experienced Benz indy (highest references.) As long as he was going to be in the neighborhood, I provided him with new flex disks and a replacement tranny mount to install as well.

New transmission seems okay (great actually), BUT here's the problem I'm now having:

PROBLEM:
Only when the engine is fully warmed-up, and only upon take-off (in 2nd gear), there's a VERY obvious thump-thump-thump that you can both hear and feel coming from the floor above the driveshaft in the vicinity of the firewall. If I back off on the accelerator, the problem stops at once.

That's it... No other symptoms: Only when engine is completely warm; only when starting from a dead stop. Otherwise, car rides like new--no vibrations or other telltale signs of faulty driveshaft balance--whether driving in town or on the highway.

My guess is its the replaced front flex disk, and I intend to get under there this week to check it out, but wanted to ask all of you for any insights you can offer...

Thanks for any guidance here!

1991 560SEL-Euro (214,000 miles)
1989 420SEL (Retired from daily use at 325,000 miles; Use as donor vehicle)