View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 12:09 AM

Replacing the Becker in my '93 300E

I realize that this forum is already full of people asking what to do for the audio in their 124 and I believe I have read almost all those threads yet I am still uncertain what configuration will give me what I want.

My '93 300E currently has the stock Becker Head Unit with the tape unit in the dash and the radio plus two amplifiers in the passenger side trunk. I have six speaker locations (two in the dash, two in the doors, and two in the rear deck) but I think that the rear speakers are actually three elements in each location so I think it is billed as the ten speaker stereo.

I would like to replace the Head Unit and all speakers but I would like to avoid making major modifications to the car. The Head Unit I think I want to go with (so far) is the Pioneer Premier DEH-P8MP. How to wire this unit up is where I get myself confused. I do not mind trying to run new wires to new speakers but I would like to minimize this if possible. I read in the Pioneer manual that this unit could be set up to drive subwoofers connected to the two rear channels instead of full range speakers. This made me think that an easy wiring scheme would be to run the front dash speakers from the deck's front channels, small subs (or mid-bass?) in the doors from the deck's rear channels, and then run RCA from the deck rear PreOut to a two channel Amp in the trunk (installed where the stock bits are being removed). Unfortunately I have not been able to confirm that this would actually be possible (that the deck would actually let me do this). The reason I think this would be good is I would be able to avoid running wires several wires from the deck in the dash back to Amps in the trunk and then forward again to the dash or the doors. If the dash speakers and the doors can be run from the deck in the dash (it is supposed to be able to deliver 27 watts x 4 RMS) then these runs would be short, and if the only external Amp is driving the rear speakers again the speaker cable runs would be short. Does anyone know if this would work?

My next dilemma then is selecting the best speakers for this configuration. Right now I am leaning towards MB Quart since they make 4" components for the dash and 6 1/2" mid-bass for the doors but I am not convinced. I know Rainbow makes drop-in compatibles for the dash but I was disappointed to see that they recommend the same speakers for the rear as for the dash. I have not figured anything out about what would be best for the rear speakers - I am too hung up on what to do with the doors.

Sorry for this being so long and it is probably coming across as an illogical mess - but hopefully you all can be patient with me and help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!