View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:46 PM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR88
my alternator on my 1987 300e is shot. I want to buy my own alternator, and possibly replace it myself. I talked to a mechanic, and he said that bosch makes 2 lines of products, the kind they sell at pep boys/autozone (bad quality), and the kind they sell to mercedes. If i ordered from fastlane, or ******** az, would i be getting the higher quality alternator? Also, how much trouble is it to replace an alternator by yourself?
You might want to try to overhaul this yourself if you have time to keep the car down for a few days. You should be able to find the parts online doing a Google search for "alternator parts". You will most likely find that only one component is bad and in the worst case that would be a rotor. I got my Taurus rotor for under $30.00 the rebuilt price of an this alternator from Pep Boys was over $100. I will be willing to bet that you could get a Bosch rotor for under $75.00 and repalace everything else needed for a total of under $100,00. These are not difficult to rebuild but if you never did it before you may want to check out a book from the library to get familiar with checking diodes and other parts.

John Roncallo