View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 06:20 AM

New owners - don't neglect your rear brakes and pkng brake shoes

After 10 months of owning a previously owned 1982 300sd I have learned a lot. Trying to fix all the neglected "little stuff" that other people don't takes time and $$. I had three mechanics - professional indy's and a dealer look the car over and make a list, but none mentioned the rear brakes. Everyone seems to focus on the front. But don't neglect the rear - here's what I learned. (see pictures)

1. Mercedes rotors are inexpensive. Replace when they have a significant ridge on inside and outside face of rotor from pad wear over the years. ATE rotors cost about $30 each. Grease the face of the hub flange where it touches the rotor and do this once a year. Rotors will rust to the hub flange and damage it - especially the rear ones that are not changed often. I had to knock one off with a hammer (gently).

2. Check your parking brake shoes. $30 for shoes for both sides. There is a cam lever that operates the two separate cables for the back wheel pkng shoes. One of my rear cables was frozen and I have been driving with the parking brake shoes engaged with LOTS OF DRAG on the rear wheel. Rear wheel bearing went bad on that side. New rear pkng cable $25.

I was completely amazed at how my car accelerated after removing the drag of frozen up pkng shoes that engage inside the rear rotors. This accounted for rear end noise and drag.

Grease all contact points where the shoes touch the dust plate. Make sure your cables are not frozen. My diesel accelerates beautifully now. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
New owners - don't neglect your rear brakes and pkng brake shoes-worn-pads.jpg   New owners - don't neglect your rear brakes and pkng brake shoes-worn-rotor.jpg   New owners - don't neglect your rear brakes and pkng brake shoes-worn-rotor-2.jpg  
2000 Toyota Tundra Pickup