View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 12:04 PM
backwoods member

The problem might not be due to the seats but the combination of sitting position, and stresses.

First my former TE had multi-contour seats and I found I liked them less than the traditional W124 seats. At the time I had the TE I thought there was a defect in the seat as being in it for more than an hour caused my leg to hurt. So I had the seat pad replaced, the seat springs rebuilt and…….the problem persisted. The guy who did the work on the seat pad said at the outset there was nothing wrong with the seat, springs or pad. Even with hundreds of different seating positions, accompanied by an almost infinite adjustment due to the multi-contour seats, there was no solution. Well I was on a vacation, driving a non MB and after about an hour, lo and behold, the same problem occurred! It was after that i turned to a doc who found I had a minor nerve pinch at my leg.

After about a year of exercise that problem went away. Well, about a year ago (several years after the issue above) another problem started where after about an hour in the car (now a 400e) my lower back will get sore and then numb, my hip hurts and the pain extends downward to my knee. If I get outta the car and walk for 5 minutes the pain is gone, but will come back after another hour in the driver’s seat. Again I tried all different positions offered by the power seats. Here’s the odd part, when I drive my SUV, never a problem. So I asked a doc about this, he did some tests and found that I have the early stages of arthritis in my hip, and when my seating position is just so (as it is in the 124) the seating position puts stress on the hip. Well it isn’t the hip exactly. Between where the hip bones come together to form a joint there is what’s called a bursa. This is a fluid filled sack that acts as a cushion that allows the tendons to move over the bones. When the bursa becomes inflamed (due to seating position, amongst other things) the discomfort appears.

So the long and short of it is that, in my case, and I suspect the initial author of this thread is that there might be a medical malady which is the source of the discomfort. A book I found has gone a long way to alleviating the discomfort. The book is called The Healthy Back Exercise Book

Welcome to middle age…………………….

'00 ML320 "Casper"
'92 400E "Stella"