View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Robert Ryan

The joy of discovering a basic tool

I need to share with the world my deep satisfaction with my latest tool purchase. I've been working on cars for about 18 years and only recently connected with the joy of the 1/4" drive socket set. From a vacation to Monterray I recall the image of a satisfied sea otter cracking open a live clam with a stone, and the Wild Kingdom special about apes using sticks to flush out worms from holes. Ahh, how God must smile as he watches over the cross-species use of tools. And this joy is proof to that God is male.

For so long I muddled through repairs with a bulky 3/8" set, albeit a nice set, trying to get into tight places. The $27 for the Craftsmen set was the best money I've spent in a long, long time. Way better than two Martinis at the Bellagio. On-par with four servings of Sushi-Ran's house cured Ikura. I like the Snap-on tools, and somewhat regarded the Craftsmen brand as a bit bulky. This set is beautiful. It makes me think back at all those years of working on cars as my 'junior' days.

Robert