View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 11:35 AM

My spouse had lasic done quite a few years ago. I can't even remember exactly when - it was at least five years, maybe more.

The upside - she can see. She was very myopic, to the point she had trouble getting eyeglass prescriptions filled, could only choose certain frames, and had to special order contact lenses at outrageous prices. It took two surgeries on each eye - the first got her 'close' - about 20/40 vision. The second put each eye right on 20/20. She consistently remarks it's one of the best decisions she had made.

There are a few downsides and risks. Plenty of folks at my office have had the procedure done. Common side effect is dry eyes, some people have to use artificial tears. Halos at night are somewhat common. At the time my spouse had it done, they had difficulty on folks with a lot of astigmatism (sp?). I think the newer machines/procedures are better able to handle that condition now. And as mentioned, you may still need reading glasses once the magic age of 40ish is attained and presbyopia kicks in. And over time your vision will drift a bit - that perfect 20/20 is a temporary thing.

I've chosen not to have the procedure done. I'm myopic, but only -3.00 diopters worth. Simple, inexpensive contact lenses give me very good vision, so I don't see even the slight risk of surgery as worth incurring.

I bet there's a ton of discussion about this scattered around the Internet. Do some reading and form your own opinion.

My $.02,

- JimY