View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Sword of Damocles

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstone
Follow-Up:

After a few days, the "slight vibration" that remained in the drivetrain is gone. I guess something that was slightly askew must have settled back into proper position down there. Looks like this one's a wrap...
The angle of the drive train to the diff' is critical. changing the angle by installing spaces is bad karma.

Anyway, I returned the car to my technician and he tracked down the source of the problem easily enough: the new front flex disc was thumping up against the tunnel, which was what I could feel inside. He said that in over 25 years of working on Mercedes vehicles, he'd never before seen this occur

The new roto coupling is touching the body ?
Hmmm....

Any additional thoughts or insights based on the new facts? Anyone ever seen something like this before??? Should I leave well-enough alone, or should I pursue perfection here?

If this air bags deployfrom this...someone could be dead !
Air bag envelope travels at better than 200 mph for a distance of 12 to 14 inches.

If you or anyone elses head is in this area during deployment when not being thrown forward by rapid deceleration, serious injuries will result.
However, it is unlikely the box in question will activate the bags as it needs initiation by the accelerometer sensors to do that. These are usually on the inner front fenders.

I would make sure the roto coupling is the correct one and if so, the problem lays elsewhere.

PS.......The vibration would be from the new angle of the drive shaft after he added spacers. Also, the drive shaft nose fits in a bushing of the output flange from the tranny....if this is oval, the shaft will vibrate.

"A liberal is someone who feels they owe a great debt to their fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."