View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Senior Benz fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstone
BACKGROUND:
Last month, I swapped a new German Star rebuilt tranny into my '89 420SEL. Too big a job for me to handle on my own, so I turned it over to a HIGHLY experienced Benz indy (highest references.) As long as he was going to be in the neighborhood, I provided him with new flex disks and a replacement tranny mount to install as well.

New transmission seems okay (great actually), BUT here's the problem I'm now having:

PROBLEM:
Only when the engine is fully warmed-up, and only upon take-off (in 2nd gear), there's a VERY obvious thump-thump-thump that you can both hear and feel coming from the floor above the driveshaft in the vicinity of the firewall. If I back off on the accelerator, the problem stops at once.

That's it... No other symptoms: Only when engine is completely warm; only when starting from a dead stop. Otherwise, car rides like new--no vibrations or other telltale signs of faulty driveshaft balance--whether driving in town or on the highway.

My guess is its the replaced front flex disk, and I intend to get under there this week to check it out, but wanted to ask all of you for any insights you can offer...

Thanks for any guidance here!
The rear differential mount is bad.......my W116 did the very same thing before I replaced it....now it is fine. and never does it. And it never felt like it came from the rear end either.
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche