View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 02:08 AM
Dieselsüchtiger

Since brakes are a fluid/hydrolic system, the pads/pistons in the caliper move to press against the rotors based on how much pad and rotor there is left, when you release the pedal and your pads are 90% worn and maybe half the rotor life is left, the pedal will travel no further as the pistons do not move back to their "with new pads/rotor" position. They simply move away enough to not apply any force to the rotor, which is extremely close to it. Thus when you press the pedal again the same amount of fluid force/pedal distance is used if the pads are 10% as when they are 100% as the pistons are moving the same exact amount of distance they did to begin with in order to compress on the rotors. You will get increased pedal travel/soft pedal if there are ballooning flex lines or other such problems but the wear of the rotors and pads won't make a difference. When I replaced my front pads/rotors the pads had about maybe 15% left and rotors maybe 30% but they were very warped so I just changed all of it. Afterwards the warp-vibration was gone but pedal travel/feel was exactly the same. Same for the '83 when we did the front brakes, rotors were deeply grooved and very little pad left (maybe 5%) after both new...same pedal travel, but the brakes did have a bit better feel/grip.
'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)