View Single Post
Old 05-09-2001, 07:49 PM
Another View. . .

Thank YOU, Roger...

Quote:
Originally posted by rbauman
If I can summarize my understanding, cooling of the cylinder head is the point of water wetter.
Not the only point. You really have to go to the Redline website and select products, then Water Wetter, then click on the link to the description to get a real overview of everything it does.

Quote:
The radiator temp (the car gauge that will rise to thermostat level) is our readout and can be a symptom of cylinder head temp.
The temperature gauge only "accurately" shows the temperature of the cooling system media at the point where the temp sender unit is located in the engine, and does not allow for accurate temp readings in other areas of the engine, including the cylinder head(s), cooling jackets around the cylinder walls, etc., where "hot spots" can occur.

Quote:
The only reason to run some anti-freeze in the summer is the possibility of A/C freeze up and increase system max temperature with a pressurized cap.
Another important function of antifreeze is anti-corrosion and scaling protection, and to keep whatever minerals might be in the water from forming deposits in the cooling system. Unless what you are saying is in relation to using plain water with Water Wetter. I would still use antifreeze in the summer, and only run the mix that Jim does, if you live in a similar climate to where he lives (San Diego).

Quote:
Water Wetter should lower the cylinder head temp in proportion to the amount of water in your radiator system.
I doubt that Water Wetter lowers temperature in and of itself. What it does is what the name implies, and that is to help water do the cooling better via more efficient heat transfer from extremely hot surfaces to the cooling medium.

But the proportion of the water to antifreeze is more relevant than the use of Water Wetter with the exception of instances of extreme operating conditions, where and when it performs best.

Quote:
The only question I see unanswered is the "plastic radiator issue" and its relevance to long term radiator replacement. Are the radiators constructed with the same materials now? I thank BillW, Scott and JimF for their thorough input.

The original radiators that used plastic tanks were manufactured using less heat resistant plastics, and did not include the metal sleeve inserts for added strength that the newer replacements now all have. The cooling tubes and fins were, and are, all made of aluminum.

Just about all of the original factory BEHR radiators that had those plastic tanks with the old style plastic, have by now, broken and been replaced. It is a very common problem.

[Edited by longston on 05-09-2001 at 07:54 PM]

Scott Longston
Northern California Wine Country...
"Turbos whistle, grapes wine..."