View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 09:59 PM

Welded the new exhaust

Finally finished welding up my new exhaust - from turbo to tail. The pipe and mounting hardware is all 2 1/2 16 gauge 304 stainless steel (non-magnetic). I used a Magnaflo straight through muffler, but it is a 400 series stainless (magnetic). I got the mounting hardware from a metal scrap yard when on some business travel for a whopping $12 - Strange sort of paddle for a massive kitchen soup bowl, such as you would find on an aircraft carrier. Unfortunately it was too long for my suit case, so I stopped by Walmart and bought a hack saw, rubber gloves, and shop towels (it was dirty). I cut the pieces in the parking lot, shoved everything in the suit case, and then when to the airport to catch my flight. Boy did TSA have a field day! but the is another story . . . .

I used the shafts of the paddles for a support where the resonator used to be. I had to bend and weld many of the pieces. The pictures pretty much speak for themselves. I had to cut them down to meet the >65KB file attachment size restriction.

The flare at the turbo was tricky. That is the only place where I used a piece of the original system - all of about one inch. The way the flare is made it is already wider. I tried pounding out some of the 16 gauge 304, but it was too thick.
Attached Thumbnails
Welded the new exhaust-dscf1061d.jpg   Welded the new exhaust-dscf1030a.jpg   Welded the new exhaust-dscf1062a.jpg   Welded the new exhaust-dscf1059a.jpg   Welded the new exhaust-dscf1060a.jpg  

Peach Parts W124.128 User Group.

80 280SL
85 300SD
87 300TD
92 300D 2.5 Turbo
92 300TE 4Matic