View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 10:48 PM
General Purpose Geek

If they are made correctly, this might be pretty nifty (but see below). I made an LED replacement for my third brakelight on my 86 560. The flaw with just sticking an "LED bulb replacement" in is that the light is not even around the bulb, and you wind up with a bright red dot. This appears to be circuit boards and lots of big 10mm LED's, so it might wind up looking fairly even (I put 18 1.2 candela 10mm LED's in my brake light). My mod is completely reversible - I didn't destroy any of the original parts.

Another problem is current drain. My LED's draw about 250ma, and the original bulb was about 1.25 A. In order to fool the cruise and the "lights out" circuit, I had to put in a 15 ohm's worth of high-power "Sandbox" resistors, which get mighty warm.

Of course, mine (and probably this one) aren't DOT approved - this might matter in the investigation (and ultimate judgement) surrounding a major accident, God forbid. I'm just pointing this out.

If you calculate how much time the "instant on" nature of the LED's is worth vs the 0.5-0.75 seconds it takes a filament to attain full brightness, this amounts to a lot of feet at 70 MPH!
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm