Thread: Lower Oil pan
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 02:41 PM

Three step method...

I am just saying you should not crank it down one bolt at a time... that is sure to warp sheet metal like a pan... or crack a cast iron object subject to heat like a head...

finger tighten everything...then typically starting at the middle bolts snug them a little and then proceed in an ever widening circle until you have all of them half tight... then do the same thing taking them to the measured proper torque.... I have an inch /lb torque wrench for this stuff..

Concerning the RTV.... the danger comes from people using WAY TOO MUCH...
My method is to put as thin a layer onto each side of whatever is fitting together as I can with my finger....this includes the gasket... and let it
cure....like several hours... or overnight...then at exactly when you are putting it together ( typical skin time is 10 minutes on this stuff ) I smear one of those surfaces on each side of the gasket with another thin coat... none should squeeze out of the joint that way... and it makes exceptionally good joints.... I got these instructions off the side of the tube way back.. and have not had a gasket leak in 25 years...