View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebfl
Such a nice long post. Really doesn't matter much your motive, your a thief and a fraud. You took the law into your hands. You are lucky that you aren't in jail.

The problem would have probably gone away as soon as the lifters got back compressed. The fact they are crooks and stupid besides doesn't excuse your behavior.
To say something would "probably" have gone away is irresponsibly ignorant at worst, and defensively optimistic at best, especially for someone who works on cars for a living. Do you perform speculative troubleshooting in your professional business as well? If I heard someone tell me my problem was "probably" fixed I think I would laugh right on the spot. For your information, I drove the car for many weeks afterward, and it still ran like crap. It also failed its next scheduled emissions test very badly. The car idled as smooth as glass and passed the emissions test with flying colors before these butchers had their way with it.

I can understand someone in the business such as yourself feeling as strongly about my actions as you do. But why defend hacks who give your trade a bad name? Do you condone this type of behavior or something? I've seen too many friends and relatives get ripped off by unscrupulous mechanics who prey on people who have little knowledge of the systems being worked on, and a fear of getting stranded when they least expect it. Because of my actions, maybe Helmut & Vito will think twice next time, before they scam another customer.

You're so quick to get all defensive, but have you given any thought at all to the customers who are getting ripped off en masse? What about the college kid who takes his car in for an oil change and gets handed a $1200 invoice for mystery repairs? Or the single mom who goes in for routine A/C service (on a working system) and gets told her compressor needs replacement to the tune of $900? Not everyone is willing to just roll over and accept what is diagnosed. Some of us dare to question what is being done and actually fight when we know we are being ripped off. And what do you do? You defend the scammers. So based on your accusations, I submit that YOU are the thief and the fraud.

I have been burned so many times by unethical mechanics that I now do about 90% of my own work. When something such as A/C or alignment service comes up which I can't do myself, I still cringe at the thought of sending my car to the mechanic. When the phone rings, I fear the usual - being told my routine service is going to cost some ungodly sum of money because "we found such and such needs replacement while we were in there."

The beauty of the internet and forums such as this one is that it educates people so that they don't get taken advantage of. It also provides an avenue to warn others so they don't have to suffer too.
86 W126 560SEL
85 W126 380SE Silver
85 W126 380SE Cranberry
79 W123 250
78 W123 280E
75 W114 280