View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 05:11 PM

Desperate - MBR corruption on wifes system!

Anyone who's had to deal with this kind of thing, PLEASE help.

Was using her system to browse while mine was doing a backup and it was taking a lot (more than normal) of virus hits (AVG and Sophos came up with a lot of boxes)

In the AM, I found it had re-booted and had an error message "Error loading OS"

Just after post it comes up with this error.

Tried updating MBR with fixmbr and with Maxblast, not sure if they actually replaced it though? No joy. When I installed another master and look at that drive, I can see all the partitions and files except for the C drive. Then Icopies files from the bad drive partitions that I could see (D and E) and this NEW drive did the same thing last night.

Woke up today and it had re-booted with a start up error "Error loading OS".

Must be a mem resident that came into this drive when I copied the D and E files onto it from the original infected drive.

This machine is Win2k pro, sp4. Have broadband cable conn.

BTW, am looking at the drive with a dos program that allegedly repairs MBR's (seems that is the problem, a mem resident virus that screws with the MBR?)

This program lists my C drive as Fat32 (it's not, it's NTFS) and named "My Big Dog" (not my naming, probably a virus name or something that the virus wrote, but can't find any info on a "My Big Dog" virus?)

Did try win2k recov console. When I try to restore with an older ERD, I get a BSOD with setupdd.sys as the stop file.

This happens with the old orig drive and with the brand new drive I setup and copied D and E drive files to.

Just found this on M$ website: "If a virus has infected the Master Boot Record (MBR), you cannot run the Emergency Repair Disk until the virus is cleaned."

This is killing me to have both systems down right now, any help is appreciated and if it actually gets my data back, it's worth parts or injector work!

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol