View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 04:12 PM

Had to repair the 17 year old Goodman heat-pump at Mom's Virginia Beach house after Hurricane Isabel. Condenser fan died. Not sure if this was hurricane related or just coincidence. Anyway, the wire splice inside the motor burned up and took out the defrost timer circuit board. The motor relay was still working but looked pretty fried so I replaced it along with the motor capacitor. The motor, capacitor and relay were generic parts so I was able to get new ones without too much diffculty. Unfortunately, Goodman is not a popular brand in Tidewater Virginia so finding the defrost board was a challenge, involving finding a number to call Goodman in Houston for help in finding a Virginia parts vendor, then getting a vendor to actually sell the part to me. One vendor refused to sell, or even give me a price, because I'm not a licensed HVAC contractor! Eventually found a vendor in Norfolk that did (reluctantly) agree to sell me the defrost board.
Total parts cost was $190. (I figure at least triple that to have a tech come out to fix it, if they didn't try to sell me a new heatpump first)

Since the repairs, it's worked perfectly heating and cooling last year and so far, this summer, it's still working fine.

Happy Motoring, Mark